View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman42 View Post
Easy. Doubleheader, Friday 10-1-82, at Memorial Stadium. The Brewers come into town up by 3 with 4 games left in the season. 48,000 people on their feet all through both games, shaking brooms and screaming "Sweep! Sweep!" Wild Bill Hagy leading the cheers in section 34 (upper deck, right field). And yes, the beer is cold. The Os win both, of course, plus the Saturday game to tie it up, but Palmer gets shelled on Sunday 10-2, and the Os finish a game back.

That Ripken kid did okay, but the atmosphere is so much more memorable than any event from the games.

(Can you imagine a MLB team allowing fans to bring their own brooms to a game nowadays? No, the team would sell plastic triangles with a broom picture printed on along with the team name and the date.)

Bill
I was at that D-Header as well, with my cousins and uncle. I remember my uncle thinking he could buy tickets at the gate (this was the O's, after all, and Memorial Stadium wasn't known for sellouts) but coming up empty, then walking up a ramp and getting the attention of a grounds crew guy (or someone) and convincing him to find some tickets for us. Amazing. Free tickets (minus whatever he slipped the guy). I remember just being exhausted after it was over.

I love reading the Clemente memories. Imagine if that level of access existed today.

My broader memory of going to games is simply walking up the tunnel to get to the seating area. Nothing like a day game with sun shining on your face as you emerge from the dark concourse. Green manicured field laid out in front of you. Anticipation in the air. A great game was simply icing on that cake.

my eBay auctions