View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Mark Medlin

Default Huge shout out to Davidbvintage!!

I see tons of negativity in our hobby and the world in general. In an effort to counterbalance the hostility, I want to single out David Bryan. David goes by davidbvintage here and on eBay.

A couple months ago I got a wild hair that I wanted to collect n151 cards to go with my other 19th century collection. I searched and found a small horde of them listed on eBay. All listed by davidbvintage. Prices seemed a tad high, but what did/do I know. These are scarce as unicorn poop, check the pop reports. Anyway, I looked in my bank, I looked in the cushions of the couch, I looked on the washing machine and I looked in my cup holder of my truck - same result everywhere, no moolah to be found.

Fear began to course through my veins, what if someone else buys these rare gems, what if he comes to his senses and declares them to be no longer for sale. What to do, what to do. A light bulb went off.

I looked here on net54 and low and behold, a member with the same name!! I reached out to this seller and asked him a preposterous question - will you sell these cards on a lay-a-way type arrangement? Oh yeah, also can you give me a better deal?

Mr Bryan agreed to both of my requests. However his idea was a lot shorter on time than I had planned. So, I countered with a schedule of my choosing and a deal was struck.

After I had 400 bucks paid as a deposit I had a small family emergency that soaked up the cash I was planning to pay the 1600 balance with. I reached out to David and told him the issue and offered 3 solutions with the final choice being his. I offered the following:
1. Cancel the deal and he keep the 400 bucks as a penalty for my tardiness (I fully expected him to choose this option)
2. Cancel the deal and refund my 400.
3. Continue the deal and extend the terms by 45 days.

David choose to continue with the deal. The rest of the payments were made timely and in fact were reasonably close to the original final maturity and was paid in full on 10/13.

I received the package today and it was shipped quickly and professionally. I can’t say enough good things about a man that operated in this manner with a buyer he had never met. I did take a leap of faith, as I made all payments by friends and family. As it turns out, that was the correct means of payment. Mr Bryan may not be family, but he is definitely a friend now, and hopefully we will meet at some point in the future.

Mark Medlin