View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Default opinions- is taking a crease out really altering?

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Not to get off of the topic but restoring a painting is very different than restoring a card. I do not collect paintings but I suspect that restored paintings come with full disclosure, which does not happen with "restored" cards that have been professionally graded and assigned a numerical grade. In addition, most cards have far more than 1 copy whereas paintings are unique and have greater historical importance. Paintings also do not go through the same kind of "wash" that cards go through via a grading process.

And for my on topic post, I do not feel that taking a wrinkle or a crease out, if it is done properly, is any different than carefully erasing a stray pencil mark or soaking a card to remove debris that is on one of the surfaces of the card. Technically, the card was altered when someone placed a crease or wrinkle in it. And as alluded to earlier, placing a card under books does not remove a wrinkle or a crease. When people say that is how they have removed wrinkles or creases, they are either not telling the truth about the process employed or they do not see the wrinkle or crease is still there.

Yes this is an alteration by virtue of the definition of altering, which is to change. If it is done improperly and the card is mangled and sent for grading, the card will be rejected for being altered or it will be docked grades. I have bought plenty of cards that look like 8’s that are in 5 holders due to someone attempting to remove a crease. If done properly there is no way to really tell and the card will grade based on its appearance. The process of removing creases is very prevalent.

Greg