View Single Post
Old 08-15-2023, 02:27 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Last week I commented on a post concerning MK's Cubs pennant; and my belief that it was from the '45 World Series. I still think it looks like it came from that era; however, I've come across some new research that puts that opinion in jeopardy.

MK's Cub's pennant bears a concessionaire's label for Charles Shear, 146 Park Row, New York. Similar pennants, previously discussed last week on this thread from the '37 and '38 World Series, bore the exact same label, down to the address.

Well, the 1940 Manhattan telephone book listed Charles Shear's address as 146 Park Row; however, six years later, the 1946 edition listed him at 150 Park Row. Had MK's Cubs pennant come from the '45 World Series, it's more likely the address on the label would be for 150 Park Row. Instead, it bore the address corresponding with the concessionaire's location in the late 1930s.

So, who knows Mike, it may indeed be from the '38 World Series after all?
As more circumstantial evidence, I give you one of these where someone painted the year 1938 at the end. Granted it could have been done years later, but more than likely it was done shortly after purchase. And yes it has the Shear label with the 146 Park Row address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94C791D7-51AB-403D-8DDD-7D6179E5BB13.jpg (234.3 KB, 222 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown