View Single Post
Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Final confirmation of the T206 AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 & UZIT matched "twins"

Tim

This Frank Smith card is certainly a 350/460 subject and this card is found with AB 460 and UZIT backs. I was hesitant to include this card
in this list, since it has not been found with any 350 series backs. And this has confused some T206 collectors. Nevertheless, I have added
Frank Smith (Chicago & Boston) to this list.

Now, I'm not sure I understand this paragraph of yours......

" Secondly based on my research it's my opinion that these 29 cards were more than likely not printed on the same sheets during
the American Beauty and Uzit print runs. They can all be found with both backs but this isn't proof they were printed on the same
sheet as they were part of a larger group printed. "

I didn't say that AB 460 & UZIT backs were simultaneously printed on the same sheet of T206's. The printing was done on separate sheets
that contained identical fronts. I will try to clarify this for those who are trying to follow this, here goes......

The American Beauty 460 cards differ from the two AB 350 backs, in that the AB 460 cards were inserted in cigarette packs at the L & M
plant in Durham, NC (Factory 42). This is significant, as it indicates that American Litho (ALC) printed and issued the AB 460 cards in early
1911. DITTO goes for the PIEDMONT 460/42 cards and the SWEET CAPORAL 460/42 cards.

And, at the tail end of the T206 press runs the LENOX and the UZIT cards were printed and issued (circa Spring 1911). ALC records confirm
this. My contention is that ALC during early 1911 was printing the AB 460 backs on existing pre-printed sheets of T206 fronts. At the same
time (using these identical pre-printed T206 sheets), ALC also printed the UZIT backs. Not necessarily on sheets as small as 29-cards; but,
larger sheets where some of these cards were double-printed. I can say this from my experiencm collecting the AB 460 sub-set of 75 cards,
where certain 350/460 cards are significantly tougher to find than others.

This hypothesis is the best explanation for the coincidence of these matched twins in the 350/460 series. It also explains the coincidence of
BROAD LEAF 460 and Red HINDU cards from the 350/460 series as matched twins.

Furthermore, the fact that AB 460 & UZIT cards are mutually exclusive with BROAD LEAF 460 & Red HINDU cards reinforces this theory.

Finally, the same applies to AB 350 (no frame) cards with matched fronts with DRUM cards in the 350/460 series.

Tim, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on these subjects.

Thanks,

TED Z