View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Rick- Great comment. This is the movie that in my youth made me want to be a lawyer. Henry Fonda is unbelievable.
Yes, it's an amazing film (and stage play) and it helped shape my approach to solving business management problems as a leader. If anyone reading this hasn't seen "12 ANGRY MEN", please do so...but here's the gist of it (spoiler alert!).

Fonda didn't start off by declaring he had solved the case; rather, he said he wasn't sure and asked for discussion. He guided others to consider the individual pieces of evidence and their minds gradually opened to the possibility of innocence. As the courtroom evidence was systematically discredited, even the cool Mr. Fonda became more passionate in pleading for his point of view...but he alone wasn't able to change the views of the last reasonable holdout (E.G. Marshall) and the bigot (Lee J. Cobb). Ultimately, the decisive fact was identified by an unexpected source: the elderly man (Joseph Sweeney) who noticed the marks on the nose of a key witness. Fonda hadn't noticed them and without the foresight to allow the elderly man's opinion to be welcomed, the case would have been lost. The bigot's opinion was subsequently rendered moot because it wasn't supported by substantiated evidence, just defiance.

Fonda started the dialogue, but the verdict was reached because of his courage to engage and respect the individual backgrounds and experiences of the other jurors. Fonda's approach led others to embrace the truth rather than resist it. Ultimately, their passion for the truth matched his own.

"12 ANGRY MEN" taught me the importance of keeping an open mind and having the courage and insight to submit my opinions to challenges. You ultimately get more respect...and more likely the right answer...when people see that you welcome debate and respect the rights of others to raise questions. When they feel empowered to participate, you stand the best chance of making a well-informed decision. If all you have to rely on to win is your title, you've already lost.

I think this thread has been fantastic...the best I've seen in my year on the board. Like others, I will root for the truth to win out. Evidence has been considered and support for the possibility has built steadily through the posts with exceptional contributions made by many members. I'm in awe of those who have enlightened us with new angles of insight and research. Is it Jackson? I don't know for sure, but I'm inclined to believe that those who think so have a reasonable basis for their opinion. I also think that the revelations of the last few days give us all reason to expect the mystery can be solved beyond a reasonable doubt when the original photograph is located. Fortunately, no one's life hangs in the balance.

Last edited by Oldtix; 05-26-2010 at 03:18 PM.