View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I consigned the WaJo 20th Anniversary letter and ribbon. They are very nice - the letter is in great shape for its age and the ribbon is practically flawless. I thought they would go for much more. I kept waiting for the bidding to pick up, but it never did. I think you got a great deal and they'll look great framed!
Thank you, together they make a great WaJo item and it found the best home possible. I do have a question: did you get them together, and as far as you know, have they always been together? They were mailed out that way in 1927, and one of the things I liked about this lot was the possibility that they've come down through the years still together as issued. As for the price, the final tally including premium is exactly on target as I've tracked these over the years. The letter in good shape goes for about a grand, and the ribbon separately for $200-300. My bid--and it did hit my maximum--is what I would have paid for these at a show. Your problem is that once the consignor's fee is taken out, your take ends up below market. It does look like I had one other bidder testing my maximum for the last several bids, though, so it could have been worse! Looks like overall this was a soft auction, and who ever knows why that happens? Summertime, disgust with events in the hobby, softening economy, a combination of those? Those of us who have consigned to a lot of auctions over the years are used to frequent disappointment and an occasional "shoot the moon," but the one constant that keeps them going is that you send them your item and you get a check, done and done. And at least with REA you can never argue that whatever your items ended up at, that didn't reflect the true market at that time. If they didn't do well, nobody would have done better. Thanks again for the wonderful stuff, Nate, and know that they will be well taken care of and appreciated.