View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
I love T206s. I love the "monstrosity" of the set, I love the players and the poses, and most of all, I love the various back advertisements. But, as much as I love T206s, and can include by extension T213, T214, and T215s, I collect other prewar cards; actually, I collect certain prewar players, and thus, collect other, non-T206 prewar cards. Lately, I have jumped headfirst into Mr. Honus Wagner Cards, which has me buying things like post cards, confectionary cards and E cards (because obviously there are few T cards of Wags). Which brings me to the point of this thread.

Below I list a number of questions. While I would appreciate feedback on each, please feel free to respond to one or two inquiries only.

1. How desirable are E cards today compared to (a) T206, (b) other T cards, and (c) compared to their desirability a decade ago?

2. It appears that the value of E cards are down substantially since 2006-2008. Is this accurate, and if so (a) why?, and (b) do you feel they have bottomed out (and will rise) or is their fall in value to continue?

3. Do you care about the various back variations on the cards, or is it all about the front pose; take for example E90, E92, E101, E102, E105 (maybe E106), etc., which all have the same fronts but many different backs, and would you pay up for a scarce front/back combo (like a Wagner blue crofts candy or a crofts cocoa)?

4. Would you agree that the E92/E101 (those listed above) front poses are more desirable than other candy/caramel issues, like E91 E93, E94, E95, E98, etc?

5. Related to question 4 -- what is the "T206" of E cards?

Thanks and cant wait to read the responses
Oddly enough, I have more E cards and T206 cards in my smallish collection. In fact, the only T-cards I have in my current collection is a Cy Young glove showing and a Ty Cobb green portrait.

1) have three guesses why T206 are more popular. a) along with 33 Goudey they are the go to type for prewar, b) the "monster" makes a hobby on its own to collect for set/back collectors and c) there is a large enough population size of high grade for those who collect and enough demand to keep them scarce. The high grade cards sets new highs at the auction and lifts all boats. Also add the stories of Wagner and you got, the monster. The E cards, before the black swamp find was mainly in lower condition, and rightfully so as they were catered to kids to play with. The problem with the E98's is that ther eis such a bifurcation of grade conditions; either lousy or nrmt-mt. And 700+ copies of it was just found so we are still digesting through them...

2) Actually it was the decline in value that attracted me to E-cards. Sort of gave me a (hopefully not false) sense of "margin of safety" in what I was buying. That said, I went through two card cycles since the late 80's, so I don't mind holding onto what I have and losing money. I didnt buy them as investments. But at the same time, I dont expect to lose money on these because there is a proxy of value from its more expensive tobacco brothers...

3) I think the board answered with the back variations. Problem is they are scarce already so its really tough to gain traction of a following. Will likely rise in value, who knows, but definitely more volatile in price. To answer your question, I will pay more for a more difficult back. The million dollar question is how much more, and given the scarcity already, I would rather look for condition and visual appeal than a scarce back.

4) I prefer the cracker jacks as the most iconic E cards and has most appreciation potential beyond the fact they are already among the most expensive E cards.

5) And I think the board answered the T206, which is the E90-1.

Last edited by joshuanip; 04-10-2018 at 07:56 PM.