View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 12:33 PM

I find it surprising that BECKETT was chosen to grade the piece. Unless of course PSA and SGC politely deferred, or simply refused, and passed the shoe. Nothing against Beckett, they're strict graders.

After the lengthy NET54 thread, things looked promising. Then, a Net54 gent uncovered original research in the form of an original ad and uploaded it for us all. The ad's effect was mighty, in that there was no mention of Mickey Mantle as one of the players included.

I was hoping someone with terrier tenacity would dig up a giant dog bone of another ad, this time with a mention of Mickey Mantle. By all means, Mascot would trumpet the name of Mickey Mantle if he was included. Then again, for 1954-55, the Bowman Gum Company had an exclusive with The Commerce Comet. However, that exclusive translated to only nationwide gum issues, not to a promotion involving a very limited regional distribution area, such as Stahl-Meyer Franks in Metropolitan New York (1953--55), or Dan-Dee Potato Chips in Ohio and eastern Pennsylvania (1954), and finally Briggs in Washington, DC area (1954).

Was there any further news on this that I and some of the other lads might be unaware of? Please advise.

Many thanks. ----Brian Powell

PS-----This is a case where we really needed the expertise of Mr. Bob Lemke, who sadly passed away in early January of 2017. This was just the sort of mystery that he loved to solve, and he would welcome the assistance of others.