View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Default '08, '41, How About the Most Significant Pre-War Card Year

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

More happened of note in 1884 than any other baseball year in my (do I haveta pretend to be humble again) opinion.

Secondly, the team with the fewest season victorys for the year played in the UA - St. Paul Apostles (record 2-6) Old Judge cards of the following players: Hengle, Werrick, O'Brien, Carroll, Ganzel, Dealey.

C) After setting the current all-time record for long ball futility seven years earlier with zero team home runs for the season, the Chicago White Stockings set the season success record for HRs in 1884 which withstood all challengers until finally overthrown by the 1927 Yankees (ever hear of them?)

Nextly, eight pitchers won 40 or more games (2 had >50 - come on), 13 pitchers had >300Ks (4 had >400 Ks)

And best of all, you can get cards to represent almost all of this.

7th) that ain't all that happened in 1884.

Edited to add:
Of course I am partial to coordinating baseball occurances with the cards which I select. I think that is what this is about, but I recognize that there are other preferences. Such as: Leon just loves the cards (and could possibly not even care about the sport). Burdick may have felt similarly.