View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 10:34 AM

Default Pacific Athletic co.

That's a cool Santa Clara pennant. I've always liked that tag because it's colorized. The slogan, "Be Specific - Say Pacific" is kind of a nice touch, too.

As far as I can tell this company dates back to at least 1913 when they were known as the Pacific Pennant & Novelty Co., located at 244-46 New High Street in downtown Los Angeles, CA. They were one of the biggest pennant makers on the west coast for the first half of the 20th century and they made a lot of Pac 12 collegiate pennants during that time.

I've always thought your tag was one they used throughout the 1940s. By then they had changed their name to Pacific Athletic Co. because they were making a lot more than just pennants; namely athletic uniforms and apparel.

By the 1950s they moved out of Los Angeles to the nearby suburb of Gardena, CA where they set up shop at 14501 S. Figueroa Blvd. This apparently prompted a label re-design, see below.

In 1956 Pacific Athletic Co. was acquired by Collegiate Mfg. Co. of Ames, IA. From then on, the resulting company re-branded itself as Collegiate-Pacific. Manufacturing of all felt novelty products would eventually shift to their Roanoke, VA site where pennants are still being made today.

Pacific Athletic Co. made some really cool pennants over the years. Look for their tagging on pennants for UCLA, Cal, Stanford and a ton of smaller colleges and high schools from California and the west coast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (25).jpg (10.5 KB, 190 views)