View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 10:33 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Good call, Andy, on the 1915 Pan Pacific Pennant. Almost certainly, that's what it is...

As for the Chicago version, I have seen countless pennants over the decades, in which a sports team pennant shared the same image/graphics as a non-sports pennant. I have seen very specific Cleveland Indians and Detroit Tigers Pennants in which the same exact mascot was used for a zoo, national/state park, or city souvenir pennant. The companies that made these had a "library" of sorts, and utilized these images as appropriate. They did not always create a new image for every pennant and did not limit many of the images to sports.

That said... I still strongly believe the Chicago version is a Cubs Pennant. They always used burgundy for their pre-1920 pennants. The Chicago Bears came to exist in 1922, and oversized pennants were all but gone by then. As for it being a non-sports pennant, of course that remains a slight possibility. But whereas the Bear made complete sense for California (it is the California State Animal, and is prominent on the State Flag), it makes little/no sense for Chicago (other than for the Cubs). Furthermore, the Cubs used a full Bear Mascot back then, as opposed to the later cute Cubbie type mascot.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by perezfan; 10-31-2019 at 10:35 AM.