View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Mark Hooks

Default I must be going crazy because I am going to try and tackle "The Monster"

Hey guys,

I have been on the boards since 2009 but haven't posted a bunch. I mainly bought and sold cards on here. I have really started thinking about my collection and found I am not having the fun that I used too. I think there are many reasons but it seems to come down to:

1.) Having to much stuff, trying to collect to many different things and being overwhelmed.

2.) Playing the graded card game and spending more time looking at where I was on the registry than enjoying the cards. Also, spending $40 for a PSA 8 common vs $3-$4 raw.

So I am going to sell most of my collection, keep the stuff I really want and work on things that will make me happy.

I am a huge Reds fan so I will continue to fill in my gaps. I also enjoy un-opened wax/cello boxes and am going to fill in my gaps from 80-87 in all four major sports.

Lastly, I am finally ready to tackle "The Monster". I have always loved these cards. Actually, I consider them more of a piece of art than I do cardboard. I remember in the early 80's turning through albums of T206's and seeing prices of $1/card. I have several today (all Reds) and just bought a SGC 20 Moriarty from Ralph (rp12367).

I have read a lot of posts from the guys here and learned a ton from you all. I am going to focus on SGC 20-40 cards. I really don't like the cards in the PSA holders. I feel they look much much nicer and more presentable in a SGC holder. From what I have read, it seems SGC is more knowledgeble grading T206's as well (not bashing PSA).

I also have realized that I am going to have to take is slow so this obviously will be a long term project for me.

Thanks for letting me re-introduce myself and look forward to dealing with you guys and meeting you at the National this year.

Mark