View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 06:34 PM

Considering my wife and I are celebrating 27 years of holy matrimony this Friday, thought I'd tell my story. A college buddy and I owned a baseball card shop on the side (of our real jobs) in 1989. I had wax boxes and packs of unopened cards laying all over my apartment and my girlfriend (future Mrs) liked to open packs. She didn't really know what she was looking for, but for some reason liked the 1989 Pro Set Football cards. I sliced open a pack of 89 Pro Set with a razor, took the cards out (made sure they were all commons!) and cut a circular hole in all the cards except the top and bottom cards. I put an engagement ring in the cards and put them back in the pack. On Christmas eve I put the pack in the cup holder of my car and hid a bottle of champaign under the seat. On our way to her parents house that evening she saw the pack, opened it, and said "no Barry Sanders rookie". Twenty seven years later the family has grown and so has the card collection. Pretty sure I won't get away with a pack of cards as an anniversary gift Friday (unless it's vintage).