View Single Post
Old 10-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Default opinions- is taking a crease out really altering?

Posted By: Jeff Drum

Let's say you are set up @ a show and I asked to see a card. In my examination of the card I crease it. Have I technically added anything to the card - no, same amount of paper, ink, etc. Have I "altered" it? I bet you think so. Card is now worth .3x of what it was before. What was altered was the value and hence the card. Now, take the same card and take the crease out. Have you "altered" it? I think you would have to say yes. Same amount of paper, ink, etc. but now card is worth 1x it's original value if the crease in undetectable. Again, what was altered was the value and hence the card. I guess I am saying that alteration matters where commerec is involved and it all seems like an intent to deceive and enrich to me. IF the pressers and bleachers and the like were doing this to their own cards for their own viewing pleasure it is one thing - but I think we know what is going on. It has gotten to the point where I am very leary of all high grade cards (esp. prewar) and actually would prefer to own well-centered collector grade (3-5) examples than high end because I am very skeptical of most all of them.