View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default hand written dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Although that's the way that rainouts are dealt with today,
I would like you to consider the fact that may not have been the way that they were handled prior to WWII.
In my own personal collection I have several early vintage undated tickets that have old vintage fountain pen inscriptions that indicate that a game was played on a different date than the game number indicated on the front of the ticket.
I truly believe that some teams operated on such slim financial margins in the early part of the 20th century that a second ticket would not be issued in order to save money. I know that the Brooklyn Dodgers did this, and I suspect others did as well FWIW.

This is the challenging issue with undated vintage tickets. I really don't personally believe that there were any absolutes IMHO. Just my 2 cents.
unfortunately hand written dates have been fabricated for over 30-40 years
especially when people realized some of the prices they were getting
you ever noticed the games are all significant ??
I still find it hard to accept some one just went to the turnstile with a torn rain check stub , and were allowed admission , imagine the chaos in say Home game 67 where they had been over prior 12 rain-outs and hundred of people showed with all different game numbers on their torn tickets stubs , not even an IBM computer would have been able to sort out that , let alone a underpaid ticket collector how would he know , he would have to get a print out of all the games and doing this with all the people in line , just looking at the logistical nightmare that would cause , Most vintage tickets state "ticket must be exchanged for a future game subject to availability
and all AL and NL teams abide by the same rules due to the Revenue sharing back in the day , and knowing how many paid admission would determine pay out to visiting team. and total paid attendance .
I look it from the logistical aspect and not the emotional right or wrong