View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'd really love to see this card up close for a couple reasons.

Before I explain, let me state that it probably is altered. And I have no opinion on the case or flip as I don't know enough about the flips. The sort of printing error described below is one that I have only seen on one card in 30+ years.

The biggest reason I'd like to see it in hand or with a very high resolution scan is that after looking for some time at the large scan of the back I'm not 100% sure the damage happened after printing. The area at the right shows paper loss too, and the lines below Piedmont go right over it. The P and I also appear to be on an area that has some original surface. How is it not Repaired damage you ask?

I have a modern card, early 80's that was from a sheet damaged on purpose at the printer as a marker between make ready sheets and production sheets. Part of the card printed on the damaged area. It doesn't look as good as this back, but the printing showing over damage would be dependent on the pressure of printing, and the depth of the damage.
The areas of printing on this one look like they're over an area of shallow damage. And the big scan while not quite big enough shows no sign of the printing not being original.

I also wonder why someone would pay to have only part of the back restored? Getting the right color and consistency of the ink to redo part of the back and make it hard to tell even from a halfway decent scan is a pro job, and if it was me I'd have the whole thing redone.

Even with that, it's likely a repair. As I said, I've only seen one card printed over the same sort of damage, and that was over intentional damage which this isn't.

Steve B
The second reason I'd love to see it up close is that from the scan it would seem that whoever did the repair was very skilled and I'd like to see their work up close. I usually want to see anything that's very well done in some detail.