Thread: DEPRESSED
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Default DEPRESSED

Posted By: Jay Miller

I got my March 11 SCD yesterday anxious to read all the hot hobby news that the paper is famous for. No sooner do I get started then I come across an article that immediately brings me to a state of depression. A major auction has taken place with some great vintage material, hammered down at rock bottom prices, and I missed it. A Ruth/Gehrig autographed baseball--$1157; a Walter Johnson autographed photo--$406; a George Wright cut signiture--$486; a Billy Hamilton autograph--$739. Americana offered similar deals: a rare 1960s evening gown worn by Vivien Leigh--$152; a guitar signed by Mick Jagger and the rest of the Rolling Stones--$650. Coach's Corner--what great deals. I would have thought that there were some typos on these prices but it appears that SCD brought in a special writter for the article (Ted Taylor, Coach's Corner) so I guess they were correct. I thought it was unusual for a representative of an auction house to write an article for SCD (I think that is what the ", Coach's Corner" after Mr. Taylor's name means) but perhaps the staff writers were busy on other projects.

On a seperate note, nice career move for Josh Evans returning to SCD. Josh notes that "The controversial area of fakes, forgeries and the forgers themselves is the closest to my heart and soul. It is an area of genuine concern in the hobby, and in some ways it is worse than it has ever been. But there is no reason that we cannot continue to work to change that." You've got the ball Josh, let's see you run with it.