Thread: Vote!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Default Vote!!!

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

David, actually your last post does present some of the difficulties a criminal defense attorney faces. It is not easy to see some of the mayhem caused by our clients and not wonder about the victims and society in general. But since we have sworn to uphold an oath, to zealousy represent those charged with crimes, most of us manage to keep personal feelings out of the calculus. Those that do not are ineffective; those that tank a case on purpose, or do not put forth the greatest effort they are capable of of should, in my mind, be disbarred at the very least.

I can honestly say that in 18 years of practice I can count on one hand the clients I have had that were not happy with my representation, win or lose. I pride myself in that because when one is accused of a crime oftentimes he feels as if the entire world is against him -- save his lawyer. It's thrilling to provide hope and a defense to those least valued by our society. As I said in a previous post, if the system was run by you, we'd be living in Iran or Saudi Arabia. I would just tank a case on purpose and the government would have its way with criminal defendants, period. You worry about the poor lower classes but you have no empathy for those that perhaps grow up in less than ideal circumstances and find themselves involved in crime for reasons that are not always entirely their faults.

Now how about you tell me why is it that all of those students felt so badly abused by you? And why do you feel so badly bruised by the fact that they made those comments anonymously? All professor evaluations I filled out in college and law school were done anonymously...so that there would be no payback by the professors who were naturally in a position of greater power over the students. And why is it that such a large percentage of decent, open-minded, vulnerable, non-criminal college students could feel so badly abused by you? And instead of even showing any possible bit of self-examination you simply blame it on their youth. Nice.