View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Default 1968 Topps 3-D Baseball

Posted By: Anthony

I'd be very wary of any dealer that would forego 4-5 figures in extra profit y not having a tough set like Wilson's graded. I suspect it's probably because he knows they won't grade what he is representing them as.
Everyone thinks their cards will grade high- there were some raw cards posted on here a few months ago where the owner said they would grade 7's and 8's, and to anyone that has submitted cards for grading they were pretty obviously 4's and 5's. As you saw on your Dimaggio it can be a pretty rude awakening when a card comes back considerably lower than you had expected. But in time, if you take the oppurtunity to study those cards, you'll see why they graded as they did.
In regards to the Wilsons, having completed the set a few years ago and continually upgrading it, I can tell you they often grade much lower than you would think. Staining and wrinkles can hurt the grade, centering issues with the narrow borders can absolutely kill you. It's a tough set anyway, but condition issues can make it even tougher.