View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 01:36 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
either way although with the patina the aesthetics marry the suggestion of it's age (I collect 19th century fine sterling safes and cases) BUT if an item is degrading - remediation/conservation is common sense and accepted everywhere. THAT HANDLE IS OFF THE CHARTS!
As for baseball cards - the people that do these manipulations are just carrion looking for and often times finding easy prey. The registry and it's mine is bigger allows the scammers (and tpgs) to exploit a human flaw most of us have.
As for the doctors - unlike what their mothers had been telling them all their adult lives while living in her basement - THEY ALL FOUND JOBS.....
I was undecided what to do until I spoke with the silver conservator; at that point it was a no-brainer because I would not be comfortable owing something so special that I knew was deteriorating. While the entire bat is beautiful, the part I like the most is the image of the player, which I think beautifully captures a 19th century baseball player. While the look obviously is a lot different than before treatment, the conservator did tell me that the patina to a skilled eye does evidence that it is an old object.