View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Default When is Mint, Mint?

Posted By: Judge Dred

Lee,

I agree, the card had better be close to perfect before it's assigned a "9". I've had nicer looking post war cards sent back in 8 holders. Subjectivity, you've got to love it when a trained monkey has high regards for the card you submitted to a grading service. My apologies to all trained monkies in zoo's and circuses. Like the saying goes - buy the card, not the holder.

Here are the published grading standards of a "9" for GAI, PSA and SGC.

Global MINT (9)

Appears to have all the attributes of a Global GEM-MT 9.5. Under close examination one minor flaw, such as a small print mark, slight registration problem or minor surface problem may be evident. Approximate centering of 60/40 on the front.

PSA MINT 9: Mint.

A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

SGC 96 MINT 9:

60/40 or betting centering, sharp focus and four sharp corners*. A minor flaw may exist upon close examination. A minor flaw may be, but is not limited to: a slight nick to one corner, a small gloss break or surface scratch, a minor print line or minor refractor line, a minor focus or color imperfection, or a small print spot.