View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 04:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
I think it's a premier event. You see all kinds of GREAT stuff, amidst all kinds of kitsch and common. If you're a frequent message board participant, you're bound to run in to fellow collectors you've enjoyed reading through the years. You would get a chance to match a face with their moniker, and have a real live conversation. When collectors have shared their memories of the National, meeting and enjoying their fellow collectors was often a highlight.

For the languid loner, or the anti-social type, you'd be very uncomfortable.

As some of us age, a good idea would be some sort of a bus tour trip, starting from a decent-sized city, for a one-day deal. On further thought, that's probably very impractical.

One time I went, and the PSA booth had the $2.8 million dollar T-206 Honus Wagner on display. Wow, I will always remember that occasion.

Another time, I took my most cherished card to get it graded at the Chicago National. Sadly, PSA was not grading over-sized cards at the Nat, so I could submit it, and it would have to go bye-bye to Newport Beach. As tough as that was, it HAD to be done. Boy, was I ever glad I didn't change my mind. It came back more than just fine, and I am not ashamed to say I cried like a kid when I opened the package and unwrapped their verdict. There's something about "MINT 9" that can do that to a man.

So you refuse to go to the hobby's main event? What then have you really accomplished by not going? I do not infer you've failed as a collector. No way. However, to deprive yourself of all that potential joy seems deflating. You might be extremely advanced, and pride yourself for that, and believe you won't find anyone on your planet to converse with. I believe you'd be surprised at whom you might meet. Though, if you truly are anti-social, then you've made the right life choices on this one.

----Brian Powell
I agree with all the pluses you've pointed out, Brian. I've attended about two-thirds of them since my first in Atlanta in '92 (which I thought was absolutely terrific) and have enjoyed every one. More so with the Net54 dinner the last two years--kudos to Leon!

Regards,

Larry