View Single Post
Old 06-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Great input

Hi Graig,

I echo much of what has been shared already, but am weighing in as someone who has never seen your work in person, is a hard core collector and not so into paintings.
1) I agree you need to decide what market you are in - high end or low end (or wherever in between) - to have the 5x7's that you use to make the "good stuff" sold as a "consequence" of making a larger fine art painting is different than painting the smaller ones trying to make sales. I agree with the comment that such a move could "cheapen" the perception of your work in the marketplace.
2) I think the number of "lead generation" and exposure comments are spot on as well. Especially looking at the product that you offer, looking to "justify" the expense of showing by "breaking even" in show sales is VERY short sighted. There would be no marketing and advertising industry if companies expected an immediate roi equal to their investment in such things. I think it would be smarter to try to demographically identify who your customers are/have been and determine if the national is a good venue to get exposure to more people that fit that demographic. If not, where are they? How do you get in front of them?
3) I think a collector like me is part of the reason you saw so few sales at the national you showed at - I have spent thousands on cards and memorabilia. I even own a couple of memorabilia connected paintings, but appreciate fine art more from a museum perspective ( I like visiting and looking at it) than owning it. While I am sure I would be wowed given all I have read about your work, it is highly unlikely that I would buy a painting. A part of that is consideration of future appreciation or resale (When I buy cards or memorabilia I know I will be able to resell one day (gain loss, etc.). If I wanted to/needed to- how quickly would I be able to resell a painting - at what level of appreciation or depreciation? It would be a MUCH smaller market and arguably greater risk of depreciation in the short term. Not to get morbid here, but haven't most of the great fine artists work appreciated after they have left this world?
4) You clearly are an AMAZING fine artist. I applaud your courage in opening a dialogue exploring ways to make a good business/living out of it. It is a very different question than the quality of the work you do.
Be well and good luck. If you end up showing I will be sure to bring my 7 year old (his first national) by so we can take in your work in person.

-Howard