View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 06:56 AM
Phil P

Default Knothole Club Membership Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Well, I'm very happy to have finally filled an obvious void in my Vandy collection.

Several years ago I read the Cincinnati Post follow up from the day after Johnny Vander Meer's 1st no-hitter against the Boston Braves on 6/11/38 at Cincinnati. While reading this recount, I discovered a factoid that I stored in my memory bank hoping to one day capitalize on it. Last night it finally showed up on eBay.

Most all recounts of this game have the paid attendance for the game at a miserly 5,814. However, Cincinnati Post newspaper coverage mentioned something that I thought was cool:
“The 10,311 (5,814 paid) Knothole Day fans roared their approval of the first no-hitter since 1919 when Hod Eller flipped one against the Cardinals.”

Last night, I found 11 year old Reds fan Wilson Neeley's 1938 Knothole Club Membership Card which will get added to the Vandy showcase. Mission accomplished!

Knothole Club members were allowed admission into 11 games in 1938 including the Saturday game played on June 11th where Vandy no-hit the Braves.
Hi Scott:
Great item to add to your amazing collection. Continued success in finding items on your want list...
Best Regards
Phil