View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 09:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great research Kevin. Thanks for sharing it. It is moved to the front page so more folks can see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
Here are some images of different Cincinnati CDVs and trade cards that I have stol n from the internet over the years. Besides yours, I have seen three different cards where the date "1869" is hand written om them. In all three instances, the address for Peck & Snyder is 22 Ann St. I have seen one where "1870" is written on the card. Unfortunately, it is a generic CDV and no business or address is listed.

There is an ad from September 25, 1869 in the New York Clipper where Peck & Snyder offers both the Red Stockings CDV and a 150 page "Book of Reference" for 1869. 10 cents for the CDV and 25 cents for the guide. The address for Peck & Snyder is, of course, 22 Ann St.

Looking at the covers of old Chadwick guides, It looks as though in 1868 the publisher was Haney & Co. of 119 Nassau St; in 1869 the publisher changed to American News Co of 119 and 121 Nassau St; and in 1871 it was Peck & Snyder of 126 Nassau St. I do not have an image of a guide from 1870.

I am not sure if all of these companies are one in the same, but it is obvious from the proximity and duplicate nature of the addresses that they were all somehow related.

In February of 1870, Peck & Snyder offered the updated "Base Ball Players' Book of Reference for 1870." They do not offer the CDV at this time.

There is also an 1871 NY Clipper add where Peck & Snyder offers cards of the 1868 Atlantics, 1870 Mutuals along with the 1869 Red Stockings. These are the larger size trade cards with colored writing on the mounts. The address on this ad is 126 Nassau St. The address on the backs of the known 1868 Atlantics and 1870 Mutuals cards was also 126 Nassau St., which would correctly date them to May of 1870 or afterwards.

Here is the timeline that I have come up with:

1869 September - the first Red Stockings CDVs are issued with advertising for Haney's Guide, Chadwick's Guide and Peck & Snyder at 22 Ann St. I do not remember ever seeing a CDV with the 126 Nassau St. address on it.

1869 November - Peck & Snyder is no longer offering the CDV in their New York Clipper ad.

1869 Winter - the first larger sized trade cards are issued by Peck & Snyder - the type is black and it features ice skates on the back, which would coincide with winter sports. The address is 22 Ann St.

1870 May - Peck & Snyder change their address from 22 Ann St to 126 Nassau St.

1870 after May - the second version of the trade card is issued by Peck & Snyder - the type is red and it features a caricature of a baseball player on the back. The address is 126 Nassau St.

1870 - generic CDVs of the Red Stockings continue to be made. They do not have any advertising on them. Some have the players' names on the front, others have them listed on the back and some are completely blank.

1871 - Peck & Snyder offer additional trade cards of the 1868 Brooklyn Atlantics and 1870 New York Mutuals. The first ad that I can find offering these teams is from 1871, so that is the date that I am going with.