View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 03:55 PM

Default 1869 Peck And Snyder with Chadwick ad

I am starting a new thread because there are a number of existing threads or parts of threads that deal with the 1869 Peck and Snyder cards in general and I would like a thread devoted specifically to the one with the Chadwick ad back.
I hope to further narrow the date of issue and, hopefully, stimulate some discussion and new information. It is not an answer to which came first, merely something to consider.
As part of a great trade with another Net54 member, I recently received a copy of the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings card with the Chadwick ad back. Written on the front of the card in pencil, and on the reverse in ink, is the date Sept. 13, 1869. There was no game on that date and the only thing that I can find of any significance is that it is the day before the team left on their Western Tour.
There could be many explanations for the date, including that it was added later for some reason, but this does not really make sense. I think the most plausible explanation is that the date is very close to the release date. As noted in another thread, there is strong evidence supporting the fact that the original photo was taken between June 16 and 18, most likely,, the 18th, and published as a woodcut in the July 3rd Harper’s. At that time, the team had swept the New York area teams in a series of highly publicized games, right in Peck and Snyder’s backyard. As a major supplier of base ball equipment they likely wanted to capitalize on their association. Similarly, it would make since that they would want to advertise in the western areas that the tour would visit. The Chadwick Reference contained color illustrations of equipment which could be ordered. I do not know why Peck and Snyder are not mentioned on the card, but information in a prior thread noted that they took over publication of the Reference from Haney around this time. (If the poster of that information has a source for that info, that would great to have here. I don’t doubt it, just would like it for the history). Perhaps these cards were for sale or given out on the trip? In any case, if accurate, the date would support narrowing the issue date to between June 18 and September 13, 1869.
By the way, there was some discussion a prior thread on what the 1869 date meant as it pertained to Chadwick’s Reference. In support of the accepted theory that it was advertising a work already in print dealing with the 1868 stats and results, I have also attached a broadside advertising another of Chadwick’s publications showing a March publication date in 1868
for the work with 1867 stats etc.
Hopefully this will produce some new discussion and information on this version of the card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D7682CE9-B31C-44CB-A802-C4A158C2894D.jpg (13.3 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg 0CA5ABDF-5924-4DB4-9524-D6E11E12DE39.jpg (13.3 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg 8AF935E1-D842-42F1-ADD3-3D629F8BDB52.jpg (20.0 KB, 372 views)