Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Well, with apologies to the OP, I'll reverse his question:

What card did I always think I would eventually own, but never will:

1952 Topps #311- Mickey Mantle

-
That's more like how it is for me.
When I started everything was cheap even if it didn't seem that way. And I thought someday I'd have "everything"..........

Now 40 years later I know there are a lot of things with so few copies known that getting a set is incredibly unlikely even with a fantasy unlimited budget. Also my concept of just what "everything" includes has changed drastically. Well beyond the then available reference works.

So it's minor stuff, like figuring I wouldn't find another George C Miller I could afford, but then a beater turned up on ebay listed simply as "old baseball card". There's a bunch of cards now that I figure I simply will never have the money for - Wagner, 52 Mantle - Or have to opportunity to buy. (Funny how the most expensive stuff is usually available if you have the money. I was told that back in 78 or so, but didn't believe it at the time. )

Overall I'm pretty happy with what I've put together so far, some of what I have now has become more expensive than I'd be willing to pay so I'm glad I bought it years ago.