View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 07:24 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE......Possible sources of the T206 Wagner cards (Re-visited)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 REFERENCE.......Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I recently received a couple of emails from Net54 "readers" (I hate the term "lurker") regarding my theory for why a fair number of the Wagner cards have originated from
the Long Island, NY area. Post #824 here speculates that Joseph Knapp, the founder of the American Lithographic Company (ALC), who had a Summer home in Suffolk Co.
Long Island may have been the source of Wagner cards from that area. What I am suggesting is that when ATC was forced to discontinue printing Wagner's image on T206
cards, ALC had by that time printed up many 1st Series cards which included Wagner (and Plank). Visits to his Summer home, Mr. Knapp would take a number of discarded
Wagner cards with him and handed them out to his children, their friends, and neighbors. If so, these Wagner's eventually found their way into NY residents' collections.

I am sure that some of you may think this theory is a far-fetched result of my "wild" imagination. Whatever, I base this theory on three experiences which I was fortunate to
have in the early 1980's. I'll present the most significant one first in this post. And the other two experiences in a forthcoming post. So bear with me, as you'll find this story
quite interesting.

I was doing research in 1981 regarding a BOWMAN article I was writing for Bob Lemke's BaseBall Cards magazine. The real genius of the BOWMAN Gum Co. was George Moll.
George and Warren Bowman were close business associates. The Moll Advertising Agency in Abington, PA created in 1938 the Horrors of War cards, 1939 - 1941 PLAY BALL
cards, War Gum (1941 - 1943) cards, and 1948 - 1955 BOWMAN Sportscards & Non-Sportscards. Originally, these cards were marketed as GUM, Inc. (1939 - 1943). After
WWII as the BOWMAN Gum Co.
I was invited to George Moll's home to interview him. It was a very informative 2 - 3 hour discussion on how the BOWMAN cards were produced. The artwork, how they were
printed, etc. Afterward, George took me upstairs to his display room where he showed me his awesome collection of uncut sheets of Sports & Non-Sports cards. Albums with
cards from 1938 - 1955 in unbelievable Mint condition. Artwork created by the artists employed at his Advertising Agency. Plus, a good number of BB cards which BOWMAN
never issued. The entire day was an absolutely surreal experience.

Let's have a discussion of your thoughts, personal experiences, etc. regarding the provenance of T206 Wagner cards ?

TED Z