View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Bob Davies

Default Some personal memories...

When I was a kid, I was fortunate enough to get tickets to a game in the Montreal Forum 3-4 times a year. I'd always go early to try and get some autographs, as you could walk around the Promenade before a game. In 1971, I had tickets to a Detroit game. Walking around at ice level, Gordie Howe was standing by the bench, talking to someone. I basically stood there with my $1 program from the game. He stopped his conversation, turned to me, and asked if I would like his autograph. I probably couldn't even answer, but I opened my program to the feature on him, and he signed, with an inscription.

Years later, at a local card show, I took the same program back and had him autograph the same page. He had a good chuckle on that one.

Four years ago, I was fortunate enough to have raised some money and play for a team in the touring charity event here in Calgary that supports Alzheimer's research and support, now called the Gordie Howe CARES Pro Am. It was the last year he showed up to the event, and was unfortunately struggling mightily. Our "Pro" was Dennis Polonich, who actually still plays in the men's league I'm in. Not to take this on another track, but if you never saw Polo play, and don't know the story of Polonich and Wilf Paiement, check this out this old Bleacher Report story.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-brutal-attack

RIP Gordie Howe.