View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Default Scarcity and Value Cards vs Memorabilia

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Jason,

I've never quite understood why cards go for the prices they do, but I'm glad they're the favorite commodity as it keeps memorabilia relatively within reach (and I do mean relatively as there are some very expensive pieces of memorabilia out there).

It just comes down to supply and demand. I guess more folks can relate to cards. I also believe the desire to obtain something is influenced by the desire of others to have it as well. Who doesn't want a Mantle rookie card? Everybody's got to have one. It's actually a really cool card. You can get one any day of the week, it's just going to cost you big time (I'll see at least a couple dozen of them at a show in Wilmington MA in a couple of weeks).

Of course, there are the truly rare cards, but there are plenty of cards that are expensive despite many of them being out there. Again, lots of people want them. Simple supply and larger demand.

I guess my closest analogy would be diamonds. They're expensive, but there isn't a mall in country that doesn't have a store you can't buy one in. Why are they expensive? They're fairly rare (I guess) but nearly every female wants one on her finger (i.e. HIGH demand) if she's getting married (and I'm generalizing, but I sure know my wife wouldn't have accepted a 1912 Press pin in lieu of her ring - )

If you show someone a unique item, like a rare book, however, not many people may be able to relate to it. It's unfamiliar to them and therefore is it less collectible/expensive. Memorabilia also has a ton of niches in comparison to card collecting. Some collect game used bats, some pennants, some books, some pins, some a certain team, some a team from a certain era, etc. Specializing cuts down the overall demand for an item which would therefore be reflected in it's price. I would love to get certain Red Sox pins, but if I saw a great Nebraska Indians pin I would have no interest in it. Therefore, the price of these pins would be reflected if Dan and I were the only one's bidding on pins in a certain auction.

I think the take home is collect for the enjoyment of collecting and have fun doing it. I certainly can't figure it out.

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now...