View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Default Very enjoyable Vintage Baseball reading

Posted By: DMcD

Joe D.: Your tip is right on the money. I have been using the NYT archives for a few years now and it is a fantastic resource for old baseball articles and everything else, for that matter. It is just wonderful to read about our vintage heroes in the grand writing style of the day. On a few occasions I have posted articles on this board when they had some pertinence to a thread. Only drawback is that the articles are displayed in .pdf format and can't be copied like a jpeg, so I've needed to cobble them together from screen captures. No biggie.

You used to have to subscribe to the NYT, either on-line or paper delivery, in order to access the archives. I got a subscription to the Sunday paper only, 21 bucks a month, and that was sufficient for access. The policy has changed somewhat in that alot of the articles seem to be freely accessible now without having to log in. All the same, I have kept the Sunday subscription because the NYT is way superior to our local rag (The Honolulu Advertiser) which ain't much good for anything else besides car crashes, obituaries and swatting our B52 cockroaches.

Here is a link to the first citation of Christy Mathewson in the archives, October 5, 1899. He was playing fullback for Bucknell at the time. http://tinyurl.com/2p2q3d

-