View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
To answer your question , the date of death is not always the primary indication of rarity , some old time players just "vanished" after their playing careers. A prime example would be Roy Castleton who died in 1967 and was an accountant most of his life yet to my knowledge there are no autographs of his that have ever been offered for sale.

Another example would be Charles Perkins who played for the 1930 A's and 1934 Brooklyn Dodgers. But died in 1988. He was "found" by an astute collector who had him sign several items , he then informed Mr Smalling (baseball address list) that Perkins had been "found" but before the info could be made public Perkins died.

Almost the same thing happened with Karl Spooner and others. Not counting guys like Clancy Smyres who just simply refused to sign anything even though his name, address and phone number were listed in the telephone directory.

I buy and sell vintage baseball autographs see my web site
stinsonsports.com
Jim, Bill Sarni, who played for the Cards and Giants passed away around the same time as Karl Spooner, is much more difficult to find. Was he that less likely to sign in your opinion? Thanks for your thoughts.