View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Part time dealer

There are many ways to go about this. In my case, I set up at cards shows. Sometimes I am able to buy large lots from other dealers and sometimes customers walk into the show looking for someone to buy their cards.

Some of the smaller card shows will give you 4 tables for $35, some are $30-40 per table, and the price goes up from there. It helps to bring an assortment of items, because you never know what people will ask for. Bring all 4 major sports, vintage, new, auto's and GU. Card shows can be a great way to blow out your junk that is difficult to sell on eBay.

The most difficult part of being a dealer is finding inventory to resell. Remember, you make your money when you buy. If you pay too much for your inventory, you won't be able to sell it for a decent profit. One of the most difficult things to do is too walk away from a collection because the price is too high. If you can't buy it for a price that you are comfortable with, just walk away and don't look back.

Being a part time dealer can take a LOT of time. Looking at collections, scanning and listing on eBay, getting ready for shows, setting up at shows, all eat up time.

Check Craigslist, flea markets, newspaper ads, etc. Check the BST and other card forums for possible inventory. Make sure that all of your friends and co-workers and relatives know that you are looking for cards and you will be surprised at the number of leads that can be generated from word of mouth advertising. Print some business cards. Don't forget Facebook and Twitter.

In my case, I have a full time job, so I can't devote a lot of time to being a dealer. My goal is to make a little money so I can buy cards for my Louisiana collection without using my personal funds.

Like everything else in life, if you work hard and do your research, you should be fine.

Good luck! Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 10-18-2015 at 07:36 AM.