View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Pup,

My original reply was VERY long so I am going to try and shorten my response.

Reasons for my thinking about getting this card graded now.

1) It seems that entombing cards in graded holders is more protective than penny sleeves and top loaders (especially for REALLY thin cards like these Star Player Candy cards).

2) Not counting felts, silks and pinbacks, I only own about 200 pre-war cards and only one of those is graded. That is a Tattoo Orbit common I bought about 15 years ago and it was already graded when I bought it. So, I would kind of like to see what the whole grading process is like and if I want to go through that with some of my other cards.

3) I think, for insurance purposes, it would be easier to deal with my insurance company (if something were to ever happen to the cards) and I would have more leverage if I had the cards graded and listed somewhere other than my memory and a note book.

4) Though I am still fairly young and in good health, I am always worried something might happen to me. Since I am not married, have no children and only two people really know about my cards and what bank they are in. I am worried that if something were to happen to me, my Mother and Nephew would have NO CLUE what types of cards I have (Old Judge, York Caramel, Diamond Star, etc), who the star players are, which cards are the most valuable, approximately how much they were worth and how to go about selling them.

So, I thought, if I got some of my better cards graded then, at least, if something happened to me they would have a better idea of what I owned and how to go about finding out what they were worth. Having graded cards would also be easier for them to sell on eBay (if they wanted to go through that hassle) or to be able to talk to an auction house about.

As far as getting the Myer card graded in particular, the card is from a rare set, it is on REALLY thin paper, he is (I think) Jewish (which matters to some collectors) and I just think it is cool that before I showed this card on this board a few years ago, it was unknown to the hobby and not catalogued.

So, to me, I think that might be a good card to send off for my first grading experience.

Then again, maybe I should just send off a Pepper Martin Diamond Star card and thus lower my stress level about the card getting lost or damaged....

T206hound,

Thanks for the info. I thought I would ask the board and get some input from you guys before I called SGC and asked them about this situation.

Thanks,

David