View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We can play semantics all you want. It's taxes being collected that weren't before. Maybe they shoulda, coulda, woulda, but they weren't.
But again, please call it whatever you want to. As I said, I think it could help some small brick and mortar retail sales stores and they are the ones that seem to be hit hardest by the internet sales tax avoidance issues.
Leon,

Not sure I'd call it semantics but, as a small business owner yourself, I understand where you are coming from and what you mean by it. Though the Sales and Use taxes themselves aren't new taxes per se, what is new is who they are now going to look to for going after and collecting these taxes, and then sending the money to the state. The actual sales tax doesn't come out of your pocket but, the hassle, work, time and expense of collecting and remitting it to the state is now possibly on you and other small business owners, as well as the big online retailers. I understand exactly where you are coming from. It's potentially new tax compliance requirements on small sellers like yourself, not new taxes.