View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 AM
R@y H0lmes

Default Hal Chase photo restoration - Thoughts?

I acquired this Hal Chase photo a month or so ago and posted it in a new pickups thread, so a few you have seen it already. 1908 image, Chase with the Stockton Millers. Bain stamp and a 1911 date stamp on the reverse. The photo is a little beat up to say the least, but I'm thinking it might be a good candidate for restoration and am hoping I might get some opinions on that, as well as recommendations for anyone who does good work on photos. Ideally I'd like to do as little as possible on it. The tape on the back has to come off and the tear fixed with an archival repair while keeping the back stamps visible. The bigger question is whether to have the tear line on the front of the photo restored/filled in--- or not.

Any thoughts welcome. I didn't pay much for the photo, don't mind putting a little more money into it, and don't really know if doing work on it (especially 'fixing' the front tear line) does much for value one way or the other. Also, this seems to be a somewhat historic photo of Chase so it probably deserves the conservation/preservation in any case.