View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Another footnote. Ted's research has revealed that Doyle (N.Y.) is not a garden variety 350-only subject, but rather a subject that was intended to be a 350/460 regular print subject but removed early from print (and therefore never printed with 460 series backs). This is known because the Sovereign 350 back on Doyle (N.Y.) is apple green, which is characteristic of 350/460 RP subjects, rather than forest green, which is characteristic of 350-only subjects. [Other shortprinted 350-only subjects having apple green Sovereign backs include, by way of example, Nichols and Rhoades (Right Arm Extended)].

The long and short of it is that even before the reported hoarding and possible destruction of Doyle (N.Y.) specimens in the 1980s, the population was probably only about 2/3 that of a typical 350-only subject.
Thank you all for the T206 insights. So just to clarify -- a given player would have only the apple-green or the regular-green, but would not exist with both?

and would the apple-green sovereign back of a common player have any added value over a regular-green sovereign back of a common player? I've seen the apple-greens incosistently touted as being a premium value when being offered for sale.

I've also found similarly re the SMR failing to recognize "premium" commons -- eg Merkle portrait, Putmann, Reulbach glove shows, Schulte front view to name a few. For this set in particular, with all its variations, I find VCP particularly useful.

Thanks,
--S