View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Default An Analysis of the Yorktown Heights T 206 PSA 8 E-Bay Auction

Posted By: Cobby33

Hi Jim-
Your points are well-taken, but I have to say I do know at least one person who collects high-end cards to "invest" and not because he is mad about the hobby - which drives me crazy. (I got him into Vintage because I thought he would enjoy it like I do). I can't predict how his "investment" practices will change if there is a downturn (which I hope there isn't), but I can guarantee you I won't hear the end of his bitching and moaning about how I "got him into" cards. Yes, I got him into the hobby, but not into the investment aspect of it.

I guess what most people are voicing is their dissatisfaction with (some of) the "have's" being "show-off's" and/or making certain cards out of reach for the rest of us. Sobeit, that's simple economics. I believe your assessment (subject to my caveat) that these people collect because they love it and that's great. But, with any group of people, there are always some who turn it into a "I have more/better toys than you do," which leaves a bad taste in people's mouths, especially with something that is primarily done for fun, for most.