View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If you sent Mike Trout back in time to 1910 I think he'd have just as hard a time playing the game as Ty Cobb would today. Modern luxuries breed modern temperaments. Any injury could kill your career at any time back then and there was a lot less separating you from the common man when it came to accommodations and lifestyle.
I find it hard to believe that Ty Cobb would not be great in today's game. We might view him in the same light as Ichiro; however, that is good company IMHO.

Cobb was a skilled batsman and a fierce competitor. He would likely have trouble adjusting to 21st Century social norms. Most people removed from their environment would, though, too.

Babe Ruth would also likely do well in any era after the one in which he played. Same with WaJo, Matty, and Wagner.

As for Trout, I also believe he would have been a fine ballplayer if you took him back in time. His ability to hit, run, and field would be affected by the different equipment. However, he would still be a better player than most.

It's baseball. The game hasn't changed too much since 1909. Ballplayers are still ballplayers. Bases are still 90 feet apart. The ball itself may be livelier; however, the pitcher still gets the best hitters out 70% of the time.

Just my opinion. I am home from work on a sick day. Could be the medication talking.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra