View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 04:08 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post

I couldn't eliminate a card like the Just So Young due to it being too rare; rarity is something most collectors value, if not covet. So extreme rarity of such a big HOFer should not penalize the card, in my opinion. For this reason the Frederick Foto Ruth would be high in my own list. Definitely above a 1987 Donruss Maddux
While I'm not necessarily one to knock a card because of rarity(especially given that the Just So Young would top my list), I can understand it not being included. It's NOT REALLY completely a part of the hobby. Given that it's a lone example, and it's place in a collection, the card has been essentially been removed from the hobby. It simply doesn't exist physically beyond THAT guy..

I also think a similar effect holds for other "high end" vintage cards. They(the Jax and the Balt News Ruth as example) just aren't realistic for 95%+ of the collecting population to ever even consider owning, not to mention simply holding one, essentially removing it as part of the hobby for them...

The lesser, modern cards that are being knocked here, are part of any collection that basically wants one, or are a reasonably achievable goal for many to eventually shoot for..

Now I'm not completely justifying their disclusion from the list, but I can completely understand it.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-17-2014 at 04:12 PM.