View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Jim Harkins

Default Who will be the buyer of our vintage cards in 20 years?

Barry,
I'm enjoying this discussion. It's fun to speculate about the future. The past 30 years of growth in the prices of vintage baseball cards in unimaginable. Had I only known, I would be a rich man today. It's continued through ups and downs in the economy with hardly a blip. it seems impossible that it can continue, but I think it will. How, I don't know, but it will. Now for those pedestrian material, in time they have lost most if not all of their value. For guys like me it was th best thing to happen. I love all of the improved printing techniques of the 1990s and I enjoy now going to weekend mall shows routing through boxes of cards to find cards that previously sold for fifty dollars languishing in a dollar box. It doesn't get any better than this. Yes, as time goes on I'll spend less on vintage and more on modern, but someone else will come along to fill that void.
One threat to our hobby is people loosing interest in the sport of baseball. As long as baseball is our national pastime, many will study the history of the game and collect and invest in cards.