View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Hi Richard,
My apologies but I lost track of this thread and just saw your post today. Great clip, thank you. I saw the Chambers Brothers perform this live in 1967 at the Village Theatre, and can still picture it in my mind's eye (six months later, the Village Theatre was renamed the Fillmore East).

Cliff- Fresh Garbage was a great song, but there was another song on the same album that became headline news a year or two ago. It was called Taurus, and a riff on that song is almost identical to the opening of Stairway to Heaven. And it was on that basis that the surviving members of Spirit (Randy California is deceased) sued Led Zeppelin for stealing it. Both bands toured together in 1969, so there really was some basis for the lawsuit. Of course Spirit lost their case, but if you listen to Taurus you will hear how remarkably close it is to Stairway.
I did not see them in the '60s but about 20-25 or so years ago I was walking up 3rd Avenue in the upper 80's. I passed a very small dive bar that had a sign in the window,, Chambers Brothers coming on,,, such and such a date.
I went with a couple of friends and we were sitting nearest the stage. It was great. There were maybe 40-50 people there.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-05-2019 at 04:21 PM.