View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Default T205 card value estimator

Posted By: J Levine

I have been tracking t205 data (mostly back rarity) for nearly 8 years. I have not posted yet on this past year as I am still compiling some things from the national and a few auction houses. I have also been following prices for the last couple of years esp. on the rare variations, single prints, minor leaugers, and rarer backs (Cycle and harder).

Russ is correct when he states that the variance in prices is rather strange. Lately, prices really seem to have been all over the map. I.E. a T205 Wilhelm suffe ed variation (the easier variation) sold on ebay for nearly $300. Same card better condition sold at a larger auction house a month earlier for just above half the price.

Raw cards in T205 often sell for considerably less than graded (more so than T206 and other similar sets). A PSA 2 common will sell for around $30-$50 while the same common will sell raw for around 1/4 to a 1/3 of that price.

When it comes to some of the tougher backs, I use my own judgement on some of the backs. People continue to put a premium on the Polar Bear backs eventhough they are far more common that either or the Sweet Cap. backs. I saw six Broadleafs on ebay this year. All were around g-vg condition. 5 commons sold between 3x-21x book value. The one star sold for nearly 13x book. Strange that there is such a wide range? Not sure.

When it comes to Hindu and Drum, I go by what the market sustains. I would be willing to spend a small fortune (at least for a teacher) on a Drum back myself.

Not that any of this seems helpful but just observations.

Joshua