View Single Post
Old 07-13-2002, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Default 2002 ALL STAR GAME FARCE (and Selig,the puppet comissioner)

Posted By: warshawlaw (feeling very grumpy today)

I'm tired and hung over from going to the Dodgers-Diamondbacks last night, so I'm popping off rather than working:

I am a Yankees and Dodgers fan (I know . . .). Both teams are contending and both sent players to the game. We in L.A. were thrilled that Paul LoDuca was not selected (the last thing a catcher needs is more time playing) and that Shawn Green sat out the home run derby (he injured his thumb just before the break). The game has lost its novelty because of the interleague play, and has lost its value to the players (the revenues used to fund the pension plan; I somehow don't think that is much of an issue now). It was really great to see how Ted Williams would hit Warren Spahn, which is what made the All Star game fun pre-interleague play. But if you want to see how Sammy Sosa would hit Pedro Martinez (note that neither will ever face the other in the World Series since the Cubs don't contend and the Sox will never win, ever), you will be able to during an interleague game. About all the AS game is good for is resting the contending team players and it has the big risk of injuring a critical star, which is why more and more guys fake injuries or flatly refuse to show up. Drop the damned thing.

BTW, the consensus among the fans at the game last night (at least the dozen or so I talked with in the 2nd row behind the D-Backs dugout--SWEET seats) is that the season will be torpedoed.