View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 03:46 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
If we are using economic analysis, then I think its worth discussing whether PSA is "too big to fail" within the card collecting market. I think it is and that understanding that fact is the key to explaining why the top end of the market looks so stupid to the rest of us.

When economists use the phrase "too big to fail" they refer to an institution (like a bank) whose failure (bankruptcy) would be a disaster for the economy or a market as a whole. Because of its position, other actors will always step in to bail it out no matter how bad a situation it is in (like the US government bailout of Ford and GM a few years ago).

PSA is kind of in the same situation vis a vis the hobby - too many people with too much money are too invested in PSA (not directly as shareholders, but in a broader sense of owning and putting value in PSA graded cards) to let it disappear no matter how egregious a scandal it gets itself into.

The value of so many cards at the top end of the hobby is determined now more or less solely by the PSA number on the top of the stupid slabs they come in. If the brand were irreparably tarnished or the company went bankrupt (ending the registry, turning off the tap of newly graded PSA cards coming into the market, etc) then that would pose a serious financial threat to a lot of very financially powerful people within the hobby, who are all thus incentivized to prop PSA up by whatever means they have at their disposal and ensure that it survives whatever scandal it is going through at a given time point (in most cases all this requires is that they simply ignore the scandals and keep on buying PSA cards as if nothing was wrong).

Other grading companies aren't at anywhere near the same scale as PSA and would probably be allowed to fail since the value of top end cards in Beckett or SCG holders isn't anywhere near as tied to the holder as it is with PSA cards. Its sort of like PSA has a never ending supply of get out of jail free cards while its competitors don't.

Its a huge problem for the hobby IMHO.
I respectfully disagree PSA is too big to fail.

The value of a PSA slabbed card is not the slab, it is the card. Yes, I get it that a PSA slabbed card might sell for more than an SGC slabbed card, but assuming the card was properly evaluated, the asset still exists. In contrast, if a big car company fails, so many jobs both within the failed company as well as the companies that constitute that company's supply chain will be lost. People will be out of work, and communities will suffer greatly.

Bubbles built on fiction eventually burst. We saw that in the housing market where securitized mortgage prices built on vacant or grossly overpriced realty eventually fell to the level the value of the collateralized assets dictated they fall to.

IMO the value of high grade PSA slabbed vintage cards are similarly built on overpriced assets -- altered baseball cards that pass as unaltered. For this bubble to burst all that is needed is enough publicity to come out for it to be widespread knowledge OUTSIDE THIS BOARD that the majority (yes, I mean majority) of 8s, 9s and 10s are altered. What do you have then? Are you saying the private club of wealthy people who are invested in these cards will continue to sell them amongst themselves and that will sustain the prices? Don't you think at least some of them purchased the cards believing they were as advertised, and will not continue to purchase them as it nothing happened? And don't you think new people will be hesitant to join a club whose membership is predicated on purchasing altered baseball cards? And what about entities such as PWCC who look at cards as assets and are forerunners to major funds invested in such cards. I would think they would be taking one huge legal risk investing in such assets if it is general knowledge the assets are tainted. Should the fund collapse, I can only imagine the lawsuits that will follow, and the ensuing outcry for criminal accountability.

And let's talk about bragging rights. I display all my 9s and 10s in a display case prominently displayed in my home where my cocktail party guests can ooh and ahh at how great they are and how important I must be. Then one of my guests in a loud voice asks my opinion about that recent newspaper article claiming most of these cards are altered and worth a fraction of what they sold for. It sort of reminds me of that scene in the movie "Dave" where the fired chief of staff was gathered in his living room with his powerful friends to watch Dave deliver his speech to Congress. Then when Dave exposes who was behind the scam (the former chief of staff) and the camera returns to the guy's living room, all the high-powered guests have left and former chief of staff is sitting all alone with this shell-shocked look on his face.

IMO the sooner this bubble bursts the better. I'm not saying there will not be fallout and some wealthy (and powerful) people will not be hurt. But such people were hurt (a lot worse) when other bubbles burst, and the fact they were did not prevent those bubbles from bursting.

Last edited by benjulmag; 06-11-2019 at 07:27 AM.