View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 12:50 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I think investors invest in how they're invested.

If it is known there are irrational variations in grading, but the prices still go along a line, they are investing in that line.

Investors have been keeping their heads in the sand about certain issues, because everyone else has been keeping their heads in the sand. Most everyone, including registry mebers with a brain must have already realized the irrational variations and margins in error in the number grades on labels, and many people have already been of the belief that many high-grade cards in holders are altered-- I've been of that belief for many years.

Also, what facts don't affect prices today, doesn't mean they won't affect prices tomorrow.

I think longterm investment in "high grade" vintage cards is a bad idea. Nice looking cards will still fetch good prices, but I don't believe in the future someone will pay $100,000 for a one grade increment knowing the card is likely altered to get to that grade. I, and of course many others, already thought it looney considering the normal variations (margins of error) in assigning a grade itself. Considerations the margins of error and variations is grading, paying $500,000 more for a 10 over a 9 is, in many people's opinion, silly enough, but paying $500,000 for a trimmed edge in someone's basement is beyond the pale of expectations.

My assumption, my opinion, is that the majority of high-grade vintage cards have been altered, or 'conserved' if you prefer. And, if and when that sets in with the hobby as a whole, I assume it will affect pricing.

I think two things are going on with some of the high roller investors:

1. When PSA assigns a card a high grade, that then is what the card "becomes." If you're holding a PSA 9 Mantle, forget what the card looks like; what it is, to the investor, is a PSA 9 Mantle, period. How it got there (overly generous grading, unnoticeable alteration) is basically irrelevant.

2. The PSA population report creates artificial rarity. A seasoned collector will understand why a T206 Doyle in fair condition is quite highly desirable because of its (legitimate) rarity, while an investor will look at a 1967 Card #1 The Champs in PSA 10 and see that only one exists. So, to the investor, that card is unique. If he wants the BEST 1967 set, he must have that specific instance of that card (so his thinking goes.)

I have often thought that PSA, and other TPG, basically have a business model that allows them to create wealth out of thin air. I think collectors who buy cards that are legitimately scarce will, in the long run, have a "portfolio" of "assets" that will grow in value, while those who are paying huge multiples for those 9s and 10s are just inflating a false bubble.