View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Default OT: Anyone know what this thing is?

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

This is indeed an apron, and there was a similar one produced when the Indians were in the World Series in 1954. I've found the '54 version to be much tougher to find than the 1948.

The basic aprons were supplied by a company called NonaLee, and a company tag can be found on one of the apron strings.

I say "basic" aprons because one thing that even many Indians collectors don't realize is that the 1948 aprons were produced in part by cutting up and using pieces from the pennant pictured below. (Sorry for the small image of the pennant; I was too lazy/busy right now to take a photo of the one in my collection, and this was the best I could find on eBay.) There's actually a wire photo of Cleveland-area female workers adding the Indians "pieces" to the plain aprons. The cut-up pieces of the pennant were glued onto the aprons.

The pennant is probably the most common of Indians/1948 World Series versions and usually can be picked up in nice condition for $100-$125 or so. I think a fair price for the '48 apron is in the $300 neighborhood (even taking into account the link above to the Aspire Auction). The 1954 apron brings about $400-$500.