View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 07:32 AM
Tony Ooten

I feel ya wdwfan,

I've come to the reality over the last few years of trying to consolidate my collection that very very very few 80's and 90's cards that I actually purchased from retail stores and LCS packs back in the 80's and 90's are worth even a few cents - unless some random person just happens to be looking for a particular card(s) for their collections.

I pulled out about 10 or 12 rookies and 2nd year cards of Ripken, Henderson, Jeter, boggs, clemens, etc, Then I've been listing "the best" individual cards from my collection on ebay for 7 day auctions starting at $2 each ($3 BIN) over the last several months. Stars like Griffey , Ripken, Ryan, Jeter, Mattingly, all hall of famers, every time ebay gives me 100, 200, or 500 free listings, I almost always use them all. (usually the same cards over and over ) If I've listed 500 or 600 80's & 90's cards like those maybe 5 or 6 times each over the last year, I think I've sold maybe 20 or 30 of them at $2 to $5. People buy the most random cards at the most random times. Someone bought a 94 fleer flair Dennis Eckersley a couple weeks ago for $3, but I had listed that same card probably 6 times for the same price over the last year. It's the old "needle in a haystack" (in reverse?)

I'm giving up on selling my 90's cards, I can't bring myself to throw them away or burn them, so I'm trying to whittle them down to those that will fit in a wooden box I bought at an antique store recently - about 2000 will fit, and I tell ya, even though I know they are basically worthless, it's hard to decide which 2000 I like best.

I just like the cards