View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 09:11 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Detroit Ty Cobb era Bar/Tavern find

Not sure why, but I love this recent find. It's just a mirror, but if you look at the back you will see. And I have no reason to doubt its authenticity, so hoping it is.

Faded, but readable on the back:

"This Bar Supports Our Detroit Base Ball Club" and then a Tiger logo, also very small at the bottom is Detroit USA.

The glass/mirror is extremely heavy, and there is some areas of silver loss, the Stroh's logo on the front and Detroit at the bottom etched on the beveled glass.
Approx 26-1/2 x 16-1/2.

I think the words Base Ball as opposed to one word Baseball dates this to 1900-1910 time period.

Found this article on old baseball related taverns, some from the dead ball era, and just find that an item surviving from this time period is amazing. And thinking this hung in
some Detroit bar where fans would come in after a Tigers game and discuss the greatest player who ever played (arguably) and the game he had that day over a few beers is
pretty cool.

http://www.thenationalpastimemuseum....ics-bygone-era

I love it, but if there is a Detroit fan out there with a killer man cave / memorabilia room / bar room send me a message, I'd part with it to get it closer to its original home,
or someone who would really appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (72.5 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg (72.7 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (72.7 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg (72.9 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg (79.9 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 07-21-2016 at 08:49 AM.